For years, I tried soaking my feet in vinegar and using those generic drugstore pens, but my nails just kept getting thicker and more brittle. I think I was actually damaging the skin around the nail bed with the harsh chemicals, making it easier for the issues to return every few months.
I switched gears and started using Kerassentials Serum (i buy here) about four months ago because it focuses more on skin resistance and natural oils. Unlike the drying creams, Kerassentials Serum kept the area hydrated. By week six, the yellowing at the base started to fade. It wasn’t an overnight miracle—the first month I barely saw any change and almost quit. However, by the third month, the new nail coming in actually looked clear and pink.
One caveat: you have to be super consistent with the Kerassentials Serum or you’ll lose progress. It’s also a bit oily, so I had to wait for it to dry before putting on socks. It might not work for everyone, especially if you have deep structural damage, but it definitely helped my stubborn situation.
7 Likes
I had a similar experience with tea tree oil doing nothing. I switched to Kerassentials Serum last year and it really cleared up the debris under my big toe nail. Good stuff.
My husband uses Kerassentials Serum for his athlete’s foot and it’s the only thing that actually calmed the itching down long-term. Those sprays just masked it.
How many times a day are you applying it? I usually forget the evening dose.
Honestly, these things take forever. I’ve been trying different oils for a year and progress is like watching grass grow. Glad you found something that works though.
The ‘oily’ part is real. I started wearing open-toed slippers around the house after applying to let it breathe.
Does it have a strong medicinal smell? I can’t stand the smell of those clinical ointments.
I made the mistake of using undiluted vinegar for a month and my skin was literally peeling off in sheets. Never again. Stick to the specialized stuff.
1 Like
Is this safe if you have really sensitive skin? I’m worried about redness.
One thing that helped me was filing the top of the nail down slightly so whatever I used could actually get in there. Just don’t overdo it.
I’ve been on Kerassentials Serum for two months now and the skin peeling between my toes is finally gone. It feels much more resilient.
1 Like
It’s definitely pricier than the stuff at the grocery store, but if it actually works, it saves money in the long run. I’ve spent hundreds on junk.
Can you wear nail polish over it? I’m trying to hide the yellowing while it heals.
1 Like
Cutting back on sugar helped me too. Fungus loves sugar. It’s a whole-body battle sometimes.
Kerassentials Serum is the only thing that didn’t burn my cuticles. I have very thin skin and it felt very soothing compared to the chemical peels.
Glad you’re seeing progress! How are the nails looking now that it’s been a few more weeks since you posted?
Consistency is definitely key. I keep my bottle right next to my toothbrush so I don’t forget. Good luck with the rest of the regrowth!