Moving past the drugstore creams for my thick and brittle toenail issues?

I’ve been dealing with a stubborn issue on my right foot for about three years. It started small, but eventually, the nail became thick and quite yellow. I tried those generic paint-on liquids from the pharmacy and even soaked my feet in vinegar every night for a month, but nothing seemed to penetrate the nail or stop it from coming back.

I realized I needed something that focused more on the skin and nail resistance rather than just harsh chemicals that dried everything out. About four months ago, I started using Kerassentials Serum (i buy here). Unlike the thick lacquers I used before, this felt more like a blend of oils that actually absorbed into the cuticle area and the skin around the nail.

Here is how it went for me:

Weeks 1-3: Not much change in the nail itself, but the skin around it stopped being so flaky and red. It felt like the area was finally hydrated instead of irritated.

Month 2: I noticed the base of the nail (the new growth) looked significantly clearer and pinker. This was the first time I felt like I wasn’t just covering up the problem.

Month 3: This was the plateau phase. I got lazy for a few days, and the skin started looking dry again, so I had to get back on a strict morning and night schedule. Consistency is definitely the hardest part.

The Kerassentials Serum seems to work best if you file down the thick parts of the nail first so the oils can actually get in there. It’s definitely not a miracle overnight thing. You have to be patient because nails grow so slowly.

One thing I like now is that I’m not embarrassed to wear flip-flops at the gym anymore. I still have a little way to go before the old damaged part is completely grown out, but the difference is huge. I found that Kerassentials Serum provides a much more holistic approach than just burning the skin with tea tree oil like I did last year.

Caveats: It’s oily, so you have to wait for it to dry before putting socks on, and it’s a bit pricier than the cheap drugstore stuff. But for me, the progress was worth it.

22 Likes

I am on week six of using Kerassentials Serum and I’m seeing that same pink growth at the base. It really is about being patient.

1 Like

Kerassentials Serum worked wonders for the skin between my toes too. I used to get that itchy peeling every summer, but this kept the skin really resistant and healthy.

How often are you filing the nail down? I’m always worried I’ll go too deep and make it sore.

I usually just do a light buffing once a week. You don’t want to draw blood, just take off that hard top layer so the oils can actually soak in.

Vinegar soaks were the worst for me. They made my skin so raw that everything else I tried afterwards just stung. Glad to hear there’s a gentler way.

The price is what’s holding me back. Is one bottle enough for a month?

Usually a bottle lasts me about 4-5 weeks if I’m only doing two toes. If you’re doing both feet, you’ll go through it faster.

Does it have a strong smell? I work in a small office and don’t want to smell like a pharmacy all day.

It’s actually pretty mild. Mostly just smells like natural oils, nothing like those harsh chemical lacquers.

My podiatrist actually mentioned the ingredients in Kerassentials Serum are great for skin barrier support. I’ve had great results keeping my nails clear after a long struggle.

2 Likes

I tried tea tree oil too and it just dried my cuticles out so bad they started cracking. This oil-based approach sounds much more sustainable for long term use.

Make sure you guys are also washing your socks in hot water. No product can fix it if you keep putting your feet back into dirty shoes!

1 Like

Good point Dan. I also started using a shoe dryer every night. Combined with the serum routine, it’s finally making a difference.

1 Like